Monday, February 23, 2009

And the sicknesses began...

Nearly immediately after returning to Mbale from my visit with Jane I hit that really tough stage of culture shock. That stage includes a strong homesick feeling. So my first week back I was tired, adjusting to school again (with a new teaching schedule that has me teaching from 8:30-2 since my prep is not until the last period but I have study hall 2nd to last, so I use that as prep usually and end my day a bit earlier), and battling the tough stage of culture shock. The next week I got malaria. I was sick with that for about a week and took about a week to recover and gain my energy back. January and the first part of February was a really tough time physically, emotionally, spiritually. I thank you all for your prayers. God has and is answering them. I am feeling fine physically now and pulling through the other side of this stage of culture shock. I’m not as homesick and my excitement for being here is beginning to return. My focus was not where it should have been and I’m trying to place it back on God. The last week has been much better, though very busy.
This past weekend was quarterly meeting here in Mbale. The men are in Kenya on the men’s retreat. On Friday we’ll leave for Kenya for our team retreat and then finish that week with spring break. My roommates and I are planning a safari in Masai Mara that I am very excited about. Then we are going to visit the Children’s Home in Kitale on our way back to Mbale. It will be a busy week, but a very good one, I think. By the time we get back to Mbale, our newest teammates will have arrived. Vince and Joy Vigil are returning to work with Good News Productions as semi-long-term teammates (I’m not exactly sure how many years they are planning for now). We would all appreciate your prayers for safe travel, good fellowship time with one another, and a restful time during our travels.

1 comments:

Lori said...

hang in there and i will be praying for you as you miss "home"