Monday, October 13, 2008

Actually caught up

I didn’t have any excursions this past week, but there has been a lot going on within the team. Several of our team members joined a group from the States for a survey trip to Sudan where they also taught a course (not sure the topic). The group that flew in is considering mission work in Sudan; since some of our team is familiar with that particular area, they guided the trip, so to speak. They are all supposed to get to Mbale Tuesday evening. I haven’t heard much about the trip other than the class went well and they’ve been safe. There is always something going on here, either emotionally with various team members or trips or visitors. It’s never boring, and I don’t think there is ever a “settling down” of things for the team. This week in school is midterm (already?) and the week after that is fall break. All of my students are going to have tests this week (that I need to be writing) and I have things to grade so that I can calculate grades. After fall break I’ll be starting new topics with each class… though I’m not sure what exactly yet for most of them. I am looking forward to break. Two of the teachers and I are hoping to go to Gulu for most of the week. We’re gonna spend some time in Kampala where we can go see a movie and go to the mall (that has a bookstore!). The aunt of two of my students lives in Gulu and works with a few different non-profits there. I called her a couple of weeks ago and she was very excited about us coming. That night, however, her father passed away. My students’ mother hasn’t returned from Gulu yet, so I don’t know what our plans will be yet. When I talked to her we talked about us helping out at a school for orphans (over 1,000 students) and visiting an IDP camp. She said there is an endless list of things we can do there. Whatever we’re interested in there is something there that we can do relating to that. If we don’t go over fall break, I plan to go the next chance I get. I am really excited about going. I know the trip will be extremely difficult emotionally, but worth it. My students’ mother said that everyone should go there to experience first-hand the heart-break and devastation in the area; she said it is very heart-wrenching. The other two I am going with don’t know much at all about the area or the history, so I am doing what I can to prepare and educate them. I’d like to go by the Invisible Children office there, too… but we’ll see. Of course I can’t say for sure, but I doubt this will be my only trip to Gulu. I can’t begin to describe how cool it is that I’ll be able to serve for a short amount of time in the area that re-ignited and reminded me of my passion for Africa 3 years ago. God’s plans are so cool. If we don’t end up going this time, though, I have faith that God will use the week for great purpose, even if it is just rest and a short trip to Kampala.
Please pray for me as a teacher to serve my students with joy the best that I can; pray for my students’ family in Gulu that I mentioned (the Mutonos); pray for our trip to Gulu; pray for us to empty ourselves so that God can fill us with his Spirit so that we may humbly do the work of His plan. Also, I’m beginning to feel a bit homesick. I’m not near the point of wanting to give up and go home, but I am frustrated with various things and I miss home. Please pray for me and the situation. It may sound odd, but I truly do feel the prayers of those who go to God on my behalf and I cannot begin to express what that means to me.

1 comments:

Lori said...

will be praying..am so proud of you crystal!! Keep up the good work!