Thursday, October 2, 2008

de Nile





On the 15th of September some others and I went to Jinja for the day. We took a private hire taxi to get there (took about 2 hours or so). We went mainly to get out of Mbale for the day and go to the craft market there. There is a much better craft market in Jinja than in Mbale. We ate at the Source CafĂ©, which is run by the CofC team in Jinja. There is so much more craft stuff here than what I saw in Mozambique. I didn’t buy lots of things, but I did see a ton that I want to get before I go home. For the most part, the afternoon was rather uneventful and it was nice to get out of Mbale for the day. On our way back we decided to go to the source of the Nile River. It was overcast and started to rain while we were there, but it was still beautiful. Julie and I are planning on rafting the Nile at some point… kinda scary, but should be fun. As of now, we don’t know when we’re going to do it. We want to find more people to do it with us and most people on our team or that we know in town have already done it or just don’t want to. I don’t have much to say about the day, but I wanted to at least mention it. It was way cool to go to the source of the Nile. And, it will be way cool to say I’ve rafted the Nile. On our way back, it was raining very hard. The a/c unit in our taxi didn’t work, which meant that the defrost was useless. The windshield stayed fogged up most of the way home. I tried to wipe it off with a conga pretty frequently, but it didn’t seem to help much. I was very thankful when we the sun came out a bit and we could see through the windshield. The driver didn’t slow down much at all for the rain (and lack of vision of the road). I’m pretty sure we were all praying very hard silently that God would get us safely back to Mbale. Our driver decided to stop and buy dinner for his family on the way back. He got some fish. This isn’t too odd, except that he hung it from the front of the car on the way back… at least we didn’t have the fishy smell in the car.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

And you didn't take a picture of the fish hanging from the front of the car!? I'm so disappointed! :P We miss you girl!