Monday, November 17, 2008

Trips to Kampala



We weren’t able to work out a trip to Gulu over fall break, but we spent a few days in Kampala. We went to the mall (that has a bookstore!!... guess where I was most of that time), a craft market, and to a couple different grocery stores that have more selection than we have in Mbale. We also went to see a movie. The theatre had comfortable seats and air conditioning… it doesn’t matter what movie we may see, it’s comfy in there. Julie, Jennifer, and I took a bus down to Kampala… thus my public transport insights from the last blog. We had a nice time overall and it was good to get out of town for a few days. We also went to see a traditional African dance troop (Ndere) perform; that was a lot of fun. There weren’t many people at all there, and they pulled us down to the stage area to dance with them—so much fun! All in all, fall break was a nice, mostly relaxing break.
We went back to Kampala a week and a half later for our team’s (New Testament Churches of Christ) quarterly meeting. We have teams in Mbarara, Jinja, Kampala, Fort Portal, and Mbale. It was nice to meet teammates from around the country and learn about the work they are doing around Uganda. I know that if I had written this blog sooner after the trips that I would have more to say, or at least a more interesting way to tell about what we did.
The power went off about 2 hours after we got back to Mbale, and stayed off for 48 hours or so. It went off and on a lot that week; then things got busy. I think some of my teammates (Julie and Mary Beth, I think) wrote more about Kampala and the power outage. Feel free to explore their blogs for more stories about my team here. :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You look so pretty in that picture! Glad you are having good times down there. :)